St. Patrick’s Day is a global holiday celebrated annually on March 17th, the anniversary of the death of St. Patrick in the fifth century. However, it is an Irish holiday observed for over 1,000 years. Celebrated during the Christian season of Lent, Irish families usually attend church in the morning and celebrate in the afternoon. Traditionally, meat has been prohibited, so people consume Irish bacon and cabbage, dance, and drink.
Why Do People Drink Beer on St. Patrick’s Day?
People wear green clothing and consume lots and lots of green beer on St. Patrick’s Day. Green beer is not an Irish tradition; however, it is an American-born innovation. The first introduction of green beer started back in 1914 in New York City by Dr. Thomas Hayes Curtin. Dr. Curtin decided that making everything green would be the best way to make the day more festive. The green beer had previously been used to describe beer that hadn’t been fully fermented yet. But, Dr. Curtin started adding a small amount of laundry whitener called ‘Wash Blue’ to beer to turn it blue. So now, blue food coloring is added to the beer to turn it green.
Can You Have Fun on St. Patrick’s Day Without Alcohol?
St. Patrick’s Day is celebrated by millions of Americans each year; it is known as a day to party. Most focus on going out with friends and having a few drinks. Can you still have fun on St. Patrick’s Day without drinking alcohol? You absolutely can. Here are some things you can do without alcohol.
- Go to the parade – Most cities have a St. Patrick’s Day parade. Parades are fun for all ages. You can attend this and steer clear of green beer.
- Enjoy a movie – Put your green attire on and go out to a movie or stay at home and watch every movie about Ireland.
- Have a shamrock shake – McDonald’s has green shakes every year for St. Patrick’s Day called shamrock shakes. Enjoy a milkshake!
- Spend some time outside – Go for a walk, take a hike, get out on the water if it’s warm enough, or just enjoy some fresh air for a change. You can also take your dog for a walk if you have one.
- Play a game – Play a game with your kids or family. There are several St. Patrick’s Day games you can play or come up with your tradition.
- Cook a traditional Irish feast – Corned beef, cabbage, and potatoes is the traditional meal people have on St. Patrick’s Day.
- Have a non-alcoholic beer – If you enjoy the taste of beer, you could have a non-alcoholic beer as long as that wouldn’t trigger you.
St. Patrick’s Day is just like any other holiday. You can always have fun without drinking on St. Patrick’s Day, just create your own traditions for a sober holiday. If you are recovering from alcoholism, it’s very important to keep your support system close and call someone with long-term sobriety. Always asked for help!
Recovering From Alcoholism
Evoke Wellness has a network of drug and alcohol treatment centers that are carefully designed to offer a lasting solution for healing those suffering from substance use disorders. We offer a safe and comfortable environment for medical detoxification. Our patients are treated extensively so that minimal discomfort is experienced during the detox process. We provide residential treatment in a structured environment and then provide you with after-care support, which is very important when being treated for addiction. In addition, Evoke Wellness is here to help you get on the road to long-term recovery. A sober life begins now!