How To Recognize Symptoms of Mental Health Disorders?
Mental health is not a straightforward concept. When a person refers to “mental health,” they could refer to the effective treatment of a mental illness or the importance of engaging in self-care to stay in a mentally healthy place. Mental health disorders are also fairly complicated, seeing as there are so many different varieties and so many potential treatment options.
How to Recognize Symptoms of Mental Illness?
If you believe that you or someone you love has been struggling with a mental health disorder, you might be wondering what signs and symptoms to look for. How can you recognize the symptoms associated with a potential mental illness? At Evoke Wellness we have ample experience detecting all symptoms associated with mental health disorders and differentiating them from the mental symptoms of a substance abuse disorder. Our psychiatric professionals work closely with each one of our clients, helping them determine whether or not they are dealing with an underlying condition that should be addressed in a dual diagnosis treatment program.
At Evoke Wellness we do offer dual diagnosis treatment options for clients who have co-occurring disorders. To learn more about our comprehensive program of clinical care, contact us today. We look forward to speaking with you and answering any additional questions you might have.
Sign and Symptoms of Mental Health Disorders
Symptoms are going to vary significantly depending on what type of mental illness you or your loved one has been struggling with. If your loved one is struggling with a depressive disorder, for example, they will probably sleep long hours, engage in social isolation, eat less than normal and neglect personal responsibilities. If the depressive disorder goes untreated for an extended period of time they might begin to engage in self-harm or experience suicidal ideation.
On the other hand, if someone you love has been struggling with an anxiety disorder, the symptoms might look like paranoia, panic attacks, and avoidance of day-to-day responsibilities. If you would like to learn more about the symptoms associated with different mental illnesses or if you would like to learn more about our dual diagnosis treatment program, contact us today.
Examples of Common Symptoms of Mental Health Disorder
Mental illness symptoms differ greatly depending on several factors, including the type of mental illness being experienced, whether there are any other underlying conditions present (like substance abuse disorders), and whether or not the person is receiving treatment (like psychotherapy or medication-assisted treatment). However, common symptoms of mental health disorders include:
- Not being able to concentrate on the task at hand
- Experiencing significant mood swings, usually marked by very high highs and very low lows
- Social isolation/withdrawing from friends and family members
- Neglecting activities that were previously enjoyed
- Noticeable changes to sleeping and eating patterns
- Insomnia, nightmares, and other sleep-related issues
- Weight gain or weight loss due to increased appetite or loss of appetite
- Having a difficult time relating to others
- Feeling nervous or anxious for no apparent reason
- Feeling extremely sad, down, or depressed for no apparent reason
- Having a difficult time getting out of bed in the morning
- Experiencing racing or irrational thoughts
- Experiencing changes to sex drive (usually a significantly increased or decreased sex drive)
- Being detached from reality
- Having a difficult time working through problems that used to be easy to work through
- Feeling guilt or shame
Evoke Wellness and Dual Diagnosis Treatment
It used to be that mental illnesses and substance abuse disorders were treated in two separate facilities by two different trained professionals. However, it was soon discovered that all underlying issues had to be addressed simultaneously for a mental health disorder to be treated long-term. It was also discovered that mental illness and substance abuse disorders very frequently go hand-in-hand. To learn more about Evoke Wellness and the integrated services we provide, contact us today. Our addiction specialists are available around the clock and will help you find the best treatment program that works for you.